One Simple Step to Eliminate the Marketing Funnel Immediately
It is a well-known fact in the AdWords community that Google has dramatically improved the AdWords platform over the last year couple of years. Outside of the AdWords community it is not so well known. As an AdWords Certified Partner (as I write this I remember I need to retake two of my exams as they have expired) I am constantly updated, trained and tested on my knowledge of the new additions as well as the removal of some things.
One of the things that Google added about a year and a half ago was call-only ads. I am writing about it today because I still talk to people almost daily who are unaware of this type of ad. It doesn’t really surprise me because let’s face it; you shouldn’t have to try to keep up with the changes in the Google eco-system.
Now you’re wondering what does that have to do with the traditional marketing funnel. It’s actually quite simple. The traditional marketing funnel may vary depending on who you talk to but in most cases, there are six phases that require multiple touches and time to drive a potential sale through the funnel.
Lead nurturing can take a lot of time and energy and while some people will tell you that it is a waste of time I think it’s more important than ever. With that being said there is a way to eliminate the marketing funnel.
Eliminate the Marketing Funnel
As mentioned before there are 6 steps in the traditional marketing funnel. They are:
- Awareness-at the top of the funnel, and where you deal with the most people, is where you build your brand and make people aware that your business exists.
- Consideration-the funnel narrows a little and you’re now educating your audience about your product or service.
- Preference-Your audience begins to interact more with your business. They start engaging more, asking more questions or getting more information.
- Action-This is usually the purchase step. You’re not really done here though because it’s easier to retain a customer than it is to get a new one. Exhausted yet?
- Loyalty-Now that the client has made a purchase what have you done to keep the client and turn them into a loyal member of your audience.
- Advocacy-These are the people who got your back in the business world. They leave reviews, refer more business to you, drive traffic to your website, etc..
You can see why the marketing funnel is still important. Step 6 is a very powerful step. What if I told you with Call Only ads you can eliminate steps 1-4? Here’s how call only ads work.
Google still accounts for 65-70% of search today. As of May 2015, more search happened on mobile than on desktop. Combine both of those statements and you can understand why acknowledging mobile search is extremely important.
At the top of a Google Search Results Page is 4 ads. They appear before anything else on the page.
What if your ad showed up at the top of the page and the link to the ad called your business directly. You’ve just eliminated the marketing funnel and you are now talking directly to someone who wants to make a purchase.
Marketing Funnel Eliminated!
I’ve created a 5-minute video to quickly show you how to set up a call only ad in AdWords. Hope it helps.