5 Reasons You Need to be on Google+ in 2014
Are you missing out on business opportunities? Could you use more potential clients? Could your business or project benefit from improved search ranking in Google? Then you should be on Google+.
What is Google+?
Google+ is a social network much like Facebook and Twitter. It has been around since September 2008 but struggled a lot to compete with Facebook and Twitter. Initially the only people that joined Google+ were the early adopters, mostly people who are in the technology world.
Recently Google has spent a lot of time and money updating Google+ with new features that can have a major impact on your internet marketing campaign. Google+ has also seen a lot of growth as more and more people continue to join and use the social media platform.
Google+ should be an important part of any marketing plan. I can say that without hesitation. To be honest you really cannot afford to not include Google+ at this point as you will read below. By the time you finish reading this you should see no reason to not have a Google+ profile and will hopefully have another tab open to create your profile.
5 Reasons to Join and Use Google+
Without further adieu here are the reasons you should be on Google+. This is not an all inclusive list as I am sure others can give you more reasons, but as an internet marketer myself, these are the most important reasons for me and my clients.
1. Reach. There are plenty of people who use Google+ exclusively, or as their preferred social network. But more importantly Google+ now has more users than Twitter. While I would never suggest passing on Twitter shouldn’t you use the same logic as a reason to use Google+? If you are trying to reach as many people as possible without spending a ton of money wouldn’t you go where most others go?
- There are over 44 million people and over 330,000 business pages on Google+
- There are over 245,000 users in New York
- There are over 36,000 users in Connecticut
Google+ is still in it’s growing phase and it’s best to get on board now as the population grows. You can bet others will join and you will have a head start on those people in having followers and being able to use the platform which is constantly evolving.
2. The People. While there are definitely artists, musicians and actors on Google+ it is not littered with fan pages and profiles dedicated to them. The majority of Google+ is people who are interested in Networking, and learning from others. Most of the Google+ users are people who want to share what they have and see what you have to share. Under the “Looking For” category the second biggest reason is Networking. That sounds like people who are ready to do business, doesn’t it?
3. Authorship. I have blogged about Authorship several times already. Authorship is the process of telling Google that you are the authority on a topic. You are taking ownership of content and in doing so Google says they will rank you higher in search results. Since Google is still king of the search world by a long shot isn’t a good idea to get in their good graces.
Authorship can only be set up through Google+.
4. Current Features. Current features like Hangouts and Communities offer ways to deliver content in different forums to different audiences. The content marketing game is one that requires the use of a variety of formats and Google+ offers you avenues to do just that. Another feature is pages for businesses.
- Communities allow you to develop groups focused on specific interests. This gives you the ability to develop a group based on a subject that you are an expert on. The group is obviously interested in your subject because they joined the group, giving you an audience that is already ready to become a client.
- Hangouts give you the ability to have group meetings or discussions. Using Hangouts you can meet with collaborators or a group of potential clients to give them a demonstration. You can even offer educational seminars about your product or service the same way you might have a seminar for an audience locally, but with a much larger reach potential, and without the cost of a brick and mortar location, and gas.
- Pages let you set up a profile for your business. Since there is only 330,000 business listed on Google+ today you won’t have a lot to compete with just yet, but wouldn’t you rather get in front of the pack?
5. Future Features. (Say that five times fast). Google is closing up shop on some of their other tools such as Google Reader and eventually Google Keyword Tool. This is an educated guess but I would be willing to bet that Google plans on tying all their tools into Google+ at some point. Little by little Google has added what used to be stand-alone tools to their social media platform. It has already integrated some of its other features such as maps and local.
What are you waiting for?
Google+ is ripe for new users. Even though it has experienced rapid growth recently it still has not reached super social media status. Eventually more users will move to Google+ as they see the positives in joining, and the potential downfall to not joining. Joining now means getting to know the platform before the masses come on board while giving you the ability to reach out to new audiences with new tools.
Did we miss another reason for joining Google+ now? Let us know in the comments. Have questions, reach us here!