It’s new and it’s fun. In fact some, including myself, find it addictive. Blab is the newest platform to storm the social media scene. While the idea is not necessarily a new one (Google Hangouts has been around for a while), it’s ease of use and tie in with Twitter make it much more appealing to less technically savvy people.
I have had the privilege of participating in probably about half a dozen blabs now..maybe more. One Blab afforded me the opportunity to ask questions and give feedback to a member of the Blab team. On another Blab we got to speak with someone who has been using Blab for some time and was able to provide tremendous pointers and feedback. The consensus seems to agree with my opinion that ease of use is the primary reason Blab will rival Google Hangouts in a short period of time.
Blab is still in beta with updates and new releases on a fairly regular basis. In fact on Friday I co-hosted a Blab for my Growth Success Radio Podcast, manually downloaded the video and uploaded to YouTube. On Saturday a button was added that allows you to upload directly to YouTube. Blab is incredibly easy to use so if you have not used it yet, I would strongly encourage you to use it. Blab can have 1-4 people talking on camera to each other about whatever they want to talk about. I have seen about every topic imaginable. There is also a chat room where people can also engage with the hosts.
Hosting and Participating in Blabs allows you to make a name for yourself. Talking with others gives you the opportunity to display your expertise in your industry. Additionally people do business with people they know, like and trust. Participating in Blabs gives you the opportunity to do this on a regular basis if you have the time. I have only hosted one Blab to date but as I mentioned earlier I have participated in at least a half dozen..maybe more. I have met people, including influencers, that I may have never met otherwise. I was able to speak with them and display my knowledge of Digital Marketing while building relationships. Think Speaking Engagements meets Networking.
Five Easy Steps to Blab Your Way to Business Success
- Host a Podcast Style Blab with Other Industry People – I host a weekly podcast on Business Growth and Success every Friday at 10am. It’s simple to schedule and set up. It’s simple to start and add your co-hosts. I have a co-host and a guest every week and we talk all things business. I switched my podcast over to this format because it’s so much easier for everyone to get on. In order to use Blab you have to have a Twitter account but that also means you have so many potential viewers. People love to come in and ask questions and get advice.
- Visit and Participate in Other Blabs – It’s amazing to me that when I visit other Blabs people check what I do and invite me into their conversations. Right now I’d say for every 3 I visit I am invited into one. This helps you grow your following on Blab very quickly and also helps to establish your expertise on a given topic. Many hosts are very cordial and love to hear your thoughts on topics. Just make sure you are prepared to discuss whatever the topic might be.
- Record & Upload Blabs to YouTube and Your Site (and Facebook) – One of the awesome features of Blab is the ability to record the blab session making it so much easier to market your podcast. As I mentioned earlier Blab has now added a button for upload to YouTube. Even better is Blab will send you an email shortly after the session is over with a link to download your Blab as a video or audio file. You can then edit the video and/or upload it to Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Your Website or wherever else you choose.
- Record & Upload Audio Version of Your Blab for iTunes and Other Podcast Feeds – As I mentioned in number 3 you will receive a link with a audible version of your Blab session. You can download this and upload it to wherever you host your podcasts. Our podcasts are uploaded to growthsuccessradio.com and automatically submitted to iTunes and other podcasts sites. So you can go to the RSS feed on Growth Success Radio or iTunes to be notified when the next episode is available.
- Be Consistent – As with any social media platform you have to have some level of consistency. If you’re not blagging on a regular basis you will not build up a following and you will not be relevant. You should also try to participate in as many relevant blabs as possible. Of course I am not suggesting you live on Blab..you need to eat and sleep, but you have to build your audience just like you do on any other social media platform.
Blab is growing and evolving constantly. And there are plenty of other ideas and tips that I could point out but we’re just going to start out with these 5. Practice with these items and before you know it you will be the Blab expert.
You see it’s not hard to get going on Blab. I have encouraged several of my clients, and one non-client to host shows on Blab because I truly believe it will work for them. One final thought…Blab is in beta and very new to a lot of people. While I have had a lot of luck in being asked to participate in Blabs I don’t know that this will be the case as the popularity grows. On my own show I lock the 4th seat because I have had a few “troublemakers” try to join. I suspect that as Blab grows you may not have as much luck as I have had.